What can I do for you?
My goal as an editor is to make your writing technically flawless, and help you express your meaning clearly while preserving your unique voice and style.
Please visit the rates and services page for more details on exactly what I offer, or feel free to contact me about your specific project and needs.
Editing qualifications and experience
- I currently work (and have worked for over 7 years) as a contract copy editor for a major academic journal publisher.
- I copy edit articles for a wide range of academic journals, on topics from foreign policy to soil science to peasant studies to systematic paleontology. I correct errors in grammar, spelling and punctuation, ensure the authors' meaning comes across clearly, cross-check citations and references, and put text, figures, tables, citations and references in journal house style.
- I have undertaken a wide variety of freelance editing work over the past 7 years.
- I have provided substantive and/or copy editing on a wide range of projects, from resumes and cover letters to academic dissertations, technical documents, novels and autobiographies.
- I have over 2 years' experience editing for a publisher of romantic fiction.
- I provided structural as well as copy editing, helping authors take their novels and novellas from a rough stage through to the final polish, working on plot, characterization and continuity as well as correcting errors of spelling, grammar and punctuation, while putting the manuscript into a consistent house style.
- I have taken professional courses in manuscript editing, copy editing, essay writing and fiction writing.
- I'm also a published author myself – of several academic articles, and one novel (published under a pen name).
- I have a BSc in honors paleontology, an MA in history and a PhD in history and philosophy of science.
- My background and experience in academia, in addition to my experience with the wide range of academic journals I currently edit, make me well qualified to edit academic work in a wide range of disciplines.